Sunday 20 May 2012

Artist of the Week - Sam Hewitt

Sam Hewitt lives in Brighton and creates oil paintings that describe human presence and movement in the urban landscape.

Where did you train? What did training teach you and what do you wish it had taught you?
I trained at school as a child, a string of good teachers taught me about form, composition, anatomy, light, colour and application (both of paint and effort). I went to college for my foundation course and encountered a wall of mystique behind which (I was assured) lay the mastery of my lecturers. They could tell me what art wasn't and, if I could only discover what it was, they would all jump out wearing party hats and welcome me in. As a result I did the bare minimum and hoped things would improve at degree level. They got worse. More failed artists showed me how to fail by hiding behind pretension and bravado. I needed to learn what a practice was but nobody told me.


Is being an artist your only job, or do you have other employment? 
It is my only job but I spend lots of time looking after my two year old daughter

One favourite living artist.
David Lynch, his relationship to his unconscious is wonderfully well developed. I think he's ahead of his time.

One favourite historical artist.
Marcel Duchamp because he was a great painter who ppppicked up a pisser when paint wasn't enough

What is the most interesting / fun job you have had?
It's hard to beat touring the states as a keyboardist/guitarist in an indie rock band. Best fun ever.

If you could collaborate with anyone living or dead, who would it be and what would you do?
Collaboration depends on an interaction between personalities and it's hard to predict whether I would work well with someone. I'd probably hate most people whose work I respect. My current collaborations are just fine.

At age 16 who most influenced your style?
Degas

Last book / film that blew your mind?
Mulholland Drive 

What music are you currently listening to?
Whatever's on Fip

How many hours do you waste on the internet each day?
None 


If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?
Nothing springs to mind

Where and what is your studio?
The Workhaus in poets corner, my own space, great light, great neighbours

Do you have a good work/life balance?
Perfect

What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
Practice

What would your dream commission be?
200,000GBP to build an installation called the Conscious Machine

If you could exhibit in any gallery in the world which would it be?
MoMA

No comments: