Tuesday 7 December 2010

Maker of the Week - Esther Coombs

Esther Coombs is a practicing artist living and working in Hampshire, who believes life is a story and that narrative is best told with drawings.

One favorite living craft maker.
Too many to mention them all, so this is difficult, I have always admired John Dilnot, his amazing bird boxes have always inspired me.

What was the last art/craft/design thing you purchased?
The last time was a amazing little match box with a drawing that pulls out of it by Alice Gabb, who's work is so beautiful!


At age 18 who influenced your style? Was there any individual who very much helped you on your way?
Honestly I can't remember, which we can maybe put down to a great time at art college, although in a broader sense my foundation course at Maidstone KIAD was a real eye opener, so many different types of media to try, enthusiastic tutors and great people who were into the same stuff as me it was a revelation.

What’s currently on your i-pod, cd player, tape recorder?
I just down loaded the Puppini Sisters which was so good I down loaded their second album too! :)

Where and what is your studio?
My studio is a lovely big shed at the end of our garden, about to be a lot nicer next week, when I get a wood burner in its pretty cold out there at the mo! :)


What is your favorite (art) website?
I couldn't live without my design sponge update daily! http://www.designspongeonline.com/
Surprising activity/hobby?
Not that surprising, but I like to run when I have time

Do you have a good work/life balance? Are you able to switch off from art work?
Nope can't help it, it wakes me up, and is in the back of my mind even when I'm pretending to be interested in something else.



What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
Hectic! (mostly!)

Do you think art and craft has any real importance?
Of course, items created by hand, with consideration and thought have every place in our society and importance in our lives!

What do think are crimes against good taste & decency in art/craft/design?
I'm pretty much a each to their own kinda person, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

No comments: