Monday 29 November 2010

Maker of the Week - Amy Keeper

Amy Keeper is a contemporary jewellery designer / maker. Amy is inspired by sentimental jewellery of the Victorian and Georgian era and the photographed characters from vintage postcards, circa 1920’s-30’s. She makes contemporary jewellery with a nostalgic narrative, sometimes setting the images behind stones and glass to include them as precious elements, and sometimes using photo-etching to create the suggestion of a modern cameo.

One favourite living craft maker.
Zoe Arnold, I love the narrative of her work, both the jewellery and objects that she makes, she has a wonderful way of storytelling through her pieces.

What one product/item do you really covet?
I really covet Su Blackwell's book sculptures, they're beautiful and I would love to own one.



At age 18 who influenced your style? Was there any individual who very much helped you on your way?
At age 18 I was very much influenced by the indie music scene, I wanted to be Louise Wener from Sleeper! Sadly I wasn't making jewellery back then.
What’s currently on your i-pod, cd player, tape recorder?
She & Him Volume 2, the actress Zooey Deschanel sings, she has the most fantastic voice and they have a great style.



Where and what is your studio?
I have a lovely workshop at Craft Central in Clerkenwell, London. It's one of many studios in a large Victorian (I think) building and they provide a fantastic community there.

What is your favourite (art) website ?
http://www.klimt02.net/, it's a jewellery community website and they always have some amazing pieces on there.

Surprising activity/hobby?
My hobby is quite a lazy one, I go to the cinema as often as possible, at least once or twice a week.



Do you have a good work/life balance? Are you able to switch off from art work?
That's tricky because I think even when you're not working it creeps into your mind and you suddenly find yourself writing to do lists, or you'll see something that inspires you with a new design.
What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
Hope!

Do you think art and craft has any real importance?
Absolutely I do! I think art and craft provides a window to social history, as long as there have been people there have been forms of art. I also think it's important to conserve the traditional skills involved in art and crafts as well as embracing new technology.

What do think are crimes against good taste & decency in art/craft/design?
Ooh I couldn't say! To give a diplomatic answer, it's each to their own, that's the lovely thing about art/craft/design, there's something out there for everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These look timeless!

Fab pieces indeed.

Read Aloud Dad
www.ReadAloudDad.com