Friday 12 November 2010

Maker of the Day - Marieke Hordyk

Contemporary jewellery designer Marieke Hordyk is based in Cambridge and trades as Allielola.


One favourite living craft maker.
It changes all the time, there are so many great artists, but right now, I love Sophie Honeybourne's jewellery, particularly her enamel work. I would love a Rosie Neckpiece - she uses fabulously vibrant blues.

What was the last art/craft/design thing you purchased?
A painting by local Cambidge based artist, Peter Sutton.

At age 18 who influenced your style?
My father grew up in Indonesia and travelled much to faraway places when I was growing up. We lived amongst an eclectic mix of art and furniture from all over the world and I grew up on Indonesian food. I think I will always be intregued by the Far East. At 18 I left home to study French and Spanish in London and was set on travelling the world after that. I loved all things Asian and everything French or Latino. I was really into vintage jewellery and would go to all the London Markets to look for vintage and second hand costume jewellery. I spent many a Saturday at Portobello Road Market!


Was there any individual who very much helped you on your way?
Not really, however, I have two sisters and my parents instilled a believe in ourselves that we could do anything, so long as we completely gave it our best. I think it gave me confidence to change direction many times and just give things a go. I started making jewellery after I had my childeren. My husband has been amazingly supportive and provides lots of ecouragement and inspiration!

What’s currently on your i-pod, cd player, tape recorder?
Jameroquai's Rock Dust Light Star!

Where and what is your studio?
I work from home, surrounded by kids, kids' stuff and our dog. Time spent on jewellery making is precious and has to be productive - lucky I work best under pressure!

What is your favourite (art) website?
Dazzle - for its huge amount of different jewellery designers. I always feel very inspired after looking at Dazzle's site. I'm really looking forward to going to their exhibition at the National Theatre in London, later this month.


Surprising activity/hobby?
Flamenco dancing!

Do you have a good work/life balance? Are you able to switch off from art work?
It's taken me years, but I feel that things are quite balanced now. Because of my childeren and the dog I only have a short 'working day', which is mostly quite annoying, but I suppose it does mean that my day is very varied and keeps stress at bay.

What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
Inspired


Do you think art and craft has any real importance?
Of course! If only for the artist's desire to create! The world would be a very uninspiring place without art and craft.

What do you think are crimes against good taste & decency in art/craft/design?
Comparing handmade individually designed pieces to cheap shop-bought mass produced items.

No comments: