Wednesday 10 November 2010

Maker of the Day - Fiona Hesford / Sewgirl


Fiona Hesford trades as Sewgirl producing knit folk, dolls, quilts, cushions and other textile accessories.

One favourite living craft maker.
My favorite living craft person at the moment has got to be Natalie L'Ete. She makes ceramics, paints, illustrates and makes soft toys and is uber cool! I love her!




What was the last art/craft/design thing you purchased?
The last thing I purchased was a creramic hand which I'm going to cover in paper mache and use to display my button accessories at MADE.

At age 18 who influenced your style? Was there any individual who very much helped you on your way?
When I was 20 ish I met textile designer Lucienne Day when I was researching my dissertation for my degree,she inspired me in a big way.

What’s currently on your i-pod, cd player, tape recorder?
I'm presently listening to The Martini Kings on the CD player,a fab lounge duo from L.A who we fell in love with at 'Vintage at Goodwood' this summer.

Where and what is your studio?
My studio is at home in Worthing,I have a large bright room where I also hold my workshops where the light is best in the mornings. Because I work at home I never really switch off, and I'm 'passionate' about ideas for new products and ways to display them.



Do you think art and craft has any real importance?
I would describe art/craft as food for the soul and therefore essential to life and society. I'm happiest when I'm working on new ideas.

No comments: