Saturday 13 November 2010

Maker of the Day - Fiona Howard


In 2007 Fiona Howard was inspired to create “FiFi”, her own collection of contemporary classic home furnishings and stylish complimentary homewares. The ‘FiFi’ collection is based on hand-cut linos created by Fiona in her Brighton studio, which exude a fresh outdoor-living style that is both contemporary and classic, with an eye to making life more beautiful.

One favourite living craft maker.
Christo and his wife Jean-Claude for the extraordinary way they create beautiful statements out of things we have seen a hundred times and never really looked at.

What was the last art/craft/design thing you purchased?
A Johnathan Adler dove salt and pepper set, given to me by my boyfriend. I love the beautiful shapes they make however they are positioned together.

At age 18 who influenced your style? Was there any individual who very much helped you on your way?
My father pushed me to be as good as I possibly could be. By not really understanding what I was doing I kept striving to be better to help him understand.




What’s currently on your i-pod, cd player, tape recorder?
Whenever I travel there's always piped music everywhere, in airports, hotel lobbies, shops etc, so recently I try to turn everything off and I've been enjoying the silence.

Where and what is your studio?
At home in my beautiful flat overlooking the sea.



What is your favourite (art) website?
www.starck.com for his simplicity

Surprising activity/hobby?
Collecting heart shaped stones.

Do you have a good work/life balance? Are you able to switch off from art work? No....I never stop !
What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
All encompassing

Do you think art and craft has any real importance?
Yes....It is the most important thing, it helps us to relax and enjoy the world around us, to laugh at life and see the extraordinary in ordinary things.

What do think are crimes against good taste & decency in art/craft/design?
There's frequently too much overdesign.

No comments: