Sunday 8 July 2012

Artist of the Week - Jane Denman

Jane Denman produces energetic figurative dance drawings and paintings on canvas and paper. She will be exhibiting at the Brighton Art Fair in September.

Where did you train? What did training teach you and what do you wish it had taught you?
I trained at Northbrook College in Worthing, it was only the 2nd year of a very new fine art degree course. It taught me to find my own way, quickly! I loved the space and time there to create paintings. In retrospect I wish I had done the foundation course prior to my degree, it would have given me more possibilities.


Is being an artist your only job, or do you have other employment?
I divide my time between being an artist and my small art class business. I set this up about 8 years ago, alongside other teaching posts. It is now keeping me going, I have met some wonderful people along the way as well as being inspired in my own work, through teaching.

One favourite living artist?
I love the work of Howard Tangy, he is a painter/illustrator and lecturer in fashion at Central St Martins. I love his combination of line with colour, it is very difficult to achieve in a balanced and exciting way.

One favourite historical artist?
Egon Schiele, he was a master of drawing and in particular, contour drawing which he did extremely deftly with his left hand. 


What is the most interesting / fun job you have had? 
My all time buzz has to be drawing whilst watching dancers at the ballet, other fun things have been teaching at the London College of Fashion, it was such a different environment with some great people and a real buzz. 

If you could collaborate with anyone living or dead, who would it be and what would you do?

It would have to be my dad! He was a great man to talk over creative moves and if he was still alive to see me as a painter I am sure we could have had some super talks and animated discussions!

At age 16 who most influenced your style? 
John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever!


Last book / film that blew your mind?
Veronika Decides to Die by Paul Coehlo. It started unexpectedly and the ending was good too.

How many hours do you waste on the internet each day?

At least 1.

If you could live anywhere, where would it be?
South of France on the Cote d'Azur in a small country house with a big table outside for entertaining friends.

Where and what is your studio?
Sometimes it is our conservatory or sometimes it is the shed at the bottom of the garden. 

Do you have a good work/life balance?
Most of the time, although it seems to be mostly work, I do enjoy it.

What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
Fun.

What would your dream commission be?
Large scale works, unlimited amount of materials and a very large brush or grafitti pen alongside the rest of the year off to realise the work.




No comments: