Friday 15 February 2013

Artist of the Week - Andy Wilx


Andy Wilx produces limited edition screen prints and will be showing his work at the Palace Art and Craft Fair.
 
 
At what age did you know you wanted to become an artist?
On my studio wall I have a, quite good, drawing I did of a Dalek and I've signed it "Andy Aged 6".  So I guess from the age of six I had started my journey.

Is being a an artist your only job?
Does doing the school-run count as a job? I guess not so no I'm just an artist now.

If you could be anything else what would you be?
A very successful artist!

 

One favourite living artist?
My hero is Stanley Donwood. I love his graphic style and the way he makes complex and thoughtful images seem so effortless. Plus he works with and hangs out with the coolest bands. 
One favourite historical artist?
I love Medieval illuminations. They were produced by many nameless people, (mostly women), so I can't name one in particular. The colour and use of gold makes them so vibrant despite their age. I also love the characterisation that walks a line but never becomes cartoon. It's something I'm constantly trying to emulate.
Who / what has had most influence on your work?
The Reliquary Casket of St Valerie
http://www.learn.columbia.edu/treasuresofheaven/relics/Reliquary-Chasse-with-St-Valerie.php

What is the most interesting / fun job you have had?
This one. I'm doing what I've always wanted to do every day.

What is your most prized item of art / design / craft?
I have several.

The Jamie Hewlett Gorillaz Stained Glass Window set, a Damian Hirst's Psalm and a full size Dalek. But if I had to save one piece from a fire it would be an oil painting called 'Cow 60' by the renowned painter of cows John Marshall. I commissioned it from him when he was unknown for my wife.

 

What item of design / craft do you covet most?
I've always wanted a copy of 'Golden Words' by Ray Caesar.
Last book / film that blew your mind?
Book: The Ass Saw The Angel by Nick Cave.
Film: The Dark Night Rises. Sorry I'm still a kid at heart.
 

What are you listening to? 
The Deserters by Rachel Zeffira

How many hours do you waste on the internet each day?
Too many.

If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?
I want to live in a lighthouse on a cliff-face overlooking the ocean.

Where and what is your studio?
I work in my basement which always floods at this time of year.

 

Three words that describe your feeling of doing your work?
Frustrating, satisfying and frustrating again

 Chips or mash?
Chips with Mash would be perfect!

No comments: