Tuesday 21 May 2013

Maker of the Week - Andrew Oliver


Andrew Oliver is a designer producing from salvage, reclaimed furniture which explores form and function.


At what age did you know you wanted to become an artist / maker? 
As a young kid I just knew, so went on to chose every creative topic I could, GCSE art and graphics, AS monochrome photography, resistant materials, fine art NND art & design & contemporary crafts BA Hons.

Is being a designer your only job?
I'm a designer craftsman fine artist, all day all week, even in my sleep. :)

If you could be anything else what would you be?

A top food critic, pro surfer, or a space monkey! 


One favourite living artist / designer? Probably Richard Deacon, he does some amazing things with form and materials.

One favourite historical artist / designer?

Bit of a obvious one but Salvador Dali was an early inspiration, unique style and vision were captivating even if a bit hard to look at some times.
Who / what has had most influence on your work?
Great tutors through out my studies and trusting my own intuition. Looking to the world around me and trying to shape my reality with as much adventure and positivity as possible. Does an idea feel relevant enough to me to proceed, gut instinct, follow my heart type thing. Truly believe great thing's come from within, if you put the right fuel in the tank.

What is the most interesting / fun job you have had?

A 2 week work placement at Hot House Models and Effects, great team and fascinating project's. Huge scale commercial prop making for a shoot in an aircraft hanger sized film studio for a cold war style Tesco advert.   


What is your most prized item of art / design / craft? Probably my books and a hammered finish silver ring made by my good lady Corrinne Evans.

What item of design / craft do you covet most?

Well I'm a hoarder so any old rubbish really lol, but particularly bits of nice wood and old furniture.

Last book / film that blew your mind?

Fantastic Mr Fox loved the book as a kid. Fell over laughing at the film, visually awesome!

What are you listening to?

MR Johnny Cash, Walk the Line. Dum dada dum dada dum dum dum 


How many hours do you waste on the internet each day? Sometimes more than others, I do lots of bargain hunting for supplies, tools, and all things I can recycle. Also love it for research, reference and learning.

If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?

A super yacht, or an air ship would be fun.

Where and what is your studio?

A converted pigsty on a farm, I turned it back into a pigsty when I moved in - lol

Three words that describe your feeling of doing your work?

Like running in a race or a really good stretch/yawn. 
Chips or mash?

Both with cheese on top!




 

No comments: