Tuesday 8 July 2008

Maker of the Week - Rachel Dormor

Rachel Dormor Ceramics, 8 Garry Drive, Cambridge.

Porcelain tableware all made on the wheel. Lovely things for everyday use and special occasions.


Favourite living craft maker?
Edmund De Waal for the way he contextualises his work and for making the cross over into installation

At age 15 who influenced your style? Was there any individual who very much helped you on your way?
I was really unhappy at school and used to spend time in the pottery studio. Learning to throw helped me take control of my life and has been the main focus for over half my life now. The artist I most admired at that time was Robin Welch. I met him last year and he bought some of my cups!


How do you set about starting a new project?
I start off by drawing and looking for inspiration in nature and in daily life.

Where and what is your studio?
In a log cabin at the end of my garden, I listen to Tom Waits.


Do you have a good work/life balance?
No, I work the equivalent of 2 full time jobs but people always think it must be a relaxing way of life.

Would you rather be doing something else?
No

Do you think art and craft has any real importance?
Yes, I think people massively underrate the importance that art, craft and design have on their well being.


Guilty secret?
I don't do ironing

Can anything be 'art'?
No, it has to have integrity or a back story

What do think are crimes against good taste & decency in art/craft/design?
Cheap mass produced china.


No comments: