Tuesday 3 August 2010

Artist of the Week - Gosia Kryk



Gosia Kryk is based in London and produces oil paintings. Gosia chose oil painting as a way to express herself. Years of designer’s work have strongly influenced her idea of creation and her oil painting process aims towards a two-dimensional piece of applied art.

Gosia will be showing her work at the Palace Art Fair in October.

Where did you train? What did training teach you and what do you wish it had taught you?
I graduated from the State Art Secondary School in Naleczow and the Gdansk Academy of Fine Arts. Mainly I was trained in painting during my study. At that time I made an acquaintance with screen printing, theory of design, visual art and many more. As result I fell in love with decorative art. Maybe it sounds strange but the solid ground for painting was built from long lasting, arduous drawing practice. Both in secondary artistic school and higher school I was preoccupied with using a pencil. Obviously I have been painting a lot as well. In many ways it turned out to be beneficial for me. I believe I gained more confidence in what I am doing and what I am going to do . Imagination, the sense of the rhythm, the balance and freedom with using medium to express myself, to create something new..it is what I need the most. All because I consider myself to be a designe .
Equally important is what I want to create and the quality of my creation. In my case the idea itself has different meaning hidden in the composition and the marks. The years of study taught me what is the best way to combine both design and painting to create pieces of art as a pattern.

When and where did you first want to do what you do?
Ever since I was very young I have enjoyed painting and drawing however for the first time I decided to use painting as main, serious medium over ten years ago. It happened during my study of design in Gdansk .

One favourite living artist?
Banksy is the one favorite living artist of mine . He is a very clever guy. I like his ideas, his projects and attitude towards all aspects of life. By following his work you can not deny he is a very good observer. In some peculiar way he is both a painter and designer.




One favourite historical artist?
The historical one? …I think Tamara Lempicka. I admire her relentless attitude in order to achieve whatever she wanted. Boldness and exuberance for filling her real life and painting . Quality of her work is worth a mention as well.

Where do you get most of your inspiration from?
The inspiration comes from experience of art and life itself. If you are sensitive enough you can always find something evocative, stirring your mind, stimulating your creativity and imagination. I visit places which boost my zeal to design and paint. I think generally commune with something like museums, galleries, exhibitions and so on supply me with magic power to turn what I see and experience into something of mine.

What is the most interesting / fun job you have had?
Once a friend of mine invited me to take part in plein-air painting. I knew what it might be like but one thing took me by surprise … a batik. I enjoyed being involved in that ‘process’. It was a very interesting and beneficial experience.

Where and what is your studio?
Basically I work on my own . I’ve converted one room of my flat into my studio. There isn’t much space but it is still a nice place to be in . Usually I create a big mess during work however I like it. It is a characteristic feature of my activity. Every nook and cranny is filled with piles of sketches and drawings, tubes of paint and tools to paint with. I really do like my small humble place called studio.




How much do you bend your 'vision' to suit the marketplace - if at all?
I am not a type of ideological warrior nevertheless I do what I like to do. I mean every now and then new trends have some slight impact on my work which is actually good. I believe everybody needs some fresh air” to breath” though in the end it is all my vision. I know it is original typical style of mine taken from somewhere inside me. The demanding rules of the market press me to do my job the best as I can.. that’s all.

At age 18 who most influenced your style?
When I was eighteen I was lucky enough to be a pupil of a very special art school settled in small tranquil and really beautiful town called Naleczow which in the past was one of the favorite places of the Polish artistic society. The atmosphere was just right for my young developing mind. Surroundings and school was such a magical place to be. I was under the spell of it so much I suppose it had a big influence over my taste. I spent a big deal of time in the shelter of school’s library flicking through artistic books. Now as far as I remember I liked the work of Paul Klee and Paul Gauguin. I have got to confess I was their fervent follower.

Who would you say buys your work?
The purchase of an art masterpiece is a matter of taste or investment. If I could choose I would prefer the first option. I believe that as long as I am not a famous artist people buy my paintings just because they like them. I noticed my potential customers are the ones who look for something of good quality, different and special.







Do you have a good work/life balance?
I think I have good balance between work and personal life. I would say they intersperse each other. I spend the time on canvas as long as I need and want to. In the course of a common working day I can find enough time to care about my children, husband and home. Obviously sometimes I have a lot to do, so I spend most of the time crammed in my studio in the process. I can’t complain even though everything in my life has it’s time. I know I can cope perfectly well.

What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
Quest is the one word describing my work.
Insatiable is the one word describing my feelings about it.

If you could be doing anything else what would it be?
It would be photography.

If you could exhibit in any gallery in the world which would it be?
I can’t state it precisely, however I would be one which is in harmony with my style.

Please list any exhibitions you have had in the past 12 months.
The Affordable Art Fair Battersea Park - 2010 - London
• Knapp Gallery the Regent’s Park - 1st December 2009 to January 2010 London
• THE CHRISTMAS SHOW - 26th November to 24th December 2009 London
• SUMMER MADNESS SHOW - 13th August to 26th August 2009 - London
• Colomb Art Gallery –July/August 2009 - Marylebone / London

No comments: