Monday 15 November 2010

Maker of the Day - Sarah Walton


Sarah Walton is a Sussex based potter. She has run a pottery there since 1975 using a large oil-fired saltglaze kiln. Sarah studied Fine Art at Chelsea from 1960-64 and Studio Pottery at Harrow from 1971-73. In 2008, Sarah began exhibiting her ceramic garden birdbaths at the Chelsea Flower Show, organised by the RHS.

One favourite living craft maker.
Jim Partridge who works in wood because it demonstates a great degree of lateral thinking in design and sensitivity to his material.

What was the last art/craft/design thing you purchased?
Some months back I spent a lot of money by my standards on 2 books of the B&W photos of James Ravilious. They've been propped open ever since,on the chest-of-drawers at the foot of my bed, at a series of images.



At age 18 who influenced your style? Was there any individual who very much helped you on your way?
At 18 I was studying painting and looking at the work of such painters as Giotto, Masaccio, Rembrandt, Constable and Velasques. As far as 3 dimensional work was concerned I wasn't looking at sculpture at all but i was in love with the Lake District, its icy Spring torrents and minute wild daffodils, its stone walls and barns. At school I had as an art master a Pole. We liked each other the moment we set eyes on one another. He'd had a hell of a 2nd. world war, like so many central Europeans. He said to me, 'Go and look at great Art,' which gave me permission to prowl the London museums from my early teens.He died before I became a potter.

What’s currently on your i-pod, cd player, tape recorder?
Currently on my cd player - French for beginners.


Where and what is your studio?
My studio is in the garden of my home. I built it 35years ago, including its large salt kiln. It is a rural setting.

What is your favourite (art) website?
I've not got that far digitally.

Surprising activity/hobby?
Dancing


Do you have a good work/life balance? Are you able to switch off from art work?
It wasn't till I'd been a potter for 10 years that I acknowledged that I had to make some big changes if I was to have a better work/life balance. I've been working at it with zeal in the 25years since then.So much so that it's one of my proudest achievements. I never entirely switch off from work.

What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
Involvement.

Do you think art and craft has any real importance?
No



What do think are crimes against good taste & decency in art/craft/design?
The temptation to side-line quality for 'a fast buck'. Then anything goes.

No comments: