Friday 18 March 2011

Artist of the Week - Lasse Skarbovik

Lasse Skarbovik was born in Norway. After graduating from Berghs School of Communication, he stayed in Sweden as a founder member of the Stockholm Illustration Collective. He describes his style as simple abstract with minimal colours. His prints and paintings are of kinetic shapes that describe figures, activities and landscapes, often in two colours. His strong images have appeared in all forms of print media as well as exhibition murals and as limited edition prints.
His inspiration comes from 'friends, food, street arts, architecture, furniture....everything!'

A long list of clients include American Illustration, The New Yorker, Time Magazine, Financial Times, Ikea, and many more design, advertising and illustration publications. His work has also be featuredon on book covers such as The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time.

Where did you train? What did training teach you and what do you wish it had taught you?
I went to Berghs School of Communication in Stockholm. It was a great school!, a playground for art and design nerds. Maybe we should learned more about economy and how to work as a freelancer.

One favourite living artist?
I really like the work of Blu, but I have new favourites every day.



One favourite historical artist?
Picasso all time, he got better and better during his lifetime. He never stopped developing his images.

Where do you get most of your inspiration from?
Inspiration comes from everywhere… I am influenced by design , street art, architecture, furniture…and people.

What is the most interesting / fun job you have had?
I have had several. I love doing big walls, making images in an environment together with architecture and furniture.

Do you work mostly on your own? Have you had any interesting work related collaborations?
I work mostly alone but I like working with other professions, especially architects and designers.

At age 18 who most influenced your style?
David Hockney



How much do you bend your 'vision' to suit the marketplace - if at all?
Not at all when it comes to my paintings and prints… maybe when I am doing commercial projects.

Who would you say buys your work?
I really don't know…maybe the main are people working in the art business, designers, art directors etc.

Where and what is your studio?
It is situated in the heart of Stockholm, in the old town. It's a great place with a lot of inspiration from my colleagues.

Do you have a good work/life balance?
Hm… I hope and think so...



What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
Joy!

If you could be doing anything else what would it be?
I have always wanted to be an archaeologist, the new Indiana Jones.
If you could exhibit in any gallery in the world which would it be?
You have some nice galleries in England… Tate gallery.

Exhibitions
I will have one exhibition in Norway this month, Castor and Pollux in Brighton in April. In September, I had an exhibition in Lidkoping ( Sweden), and last summer I had a show together with my fellow artist Kennet Andersson in Stockholm.

For the Brighton Festival 2011, Castor and Pollux are proud to welcome Lasse to show his screen prints and paintings.
Lasse Skarbovik
23 April - 29 May 2011

No comments: