Sunday 5 August 2012

Artist of the Week - Fergus Hare

Fergus Hare is based in Brighton and produces beautiful paintings and drawings.

Where did you train? What did training teach you and what do you wish it had taught you?
I trained in Illustration at Norwich School of Art & Design. I don't think I learned that much, to be honest. I think the formative years come just afterwards.


Is being an artist your only job, or do you have other employment?
I also work as an Artist's assistant.

One favourite living artist?
Peter Doig. I like the way he fills a canvas.

One favourite historical artist?
Turner. For me, painting doesn't get any better.

What is the most interesting / fun job you have had?
Probably the one I have now as an assistant. I work with great people and I'm helping to create great art everyday. I'm learning a lot about my own work which I don't think I would have known otherwise.


If you could collaborate with anyone living or dead, who would it be and what would you do?
I'm not sure I like the idea of collaboration but if it would be anyone it would probably be with my wife, Rose. She has better ideas than me.

At age 16 who most influenced your style?
Edward Hopper.

Last book / film that blew your mind?
The last book that blew my mind was Cosmos by Carl Sagan. The last film was Senna.


What music are you currently listening to?
Waylon Jennings. And my 4yr old daughter has Mahna Mahna by the Muppets on a permanent loop.

How many hours do you waste on the internet each day?
Not that many.

If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?
I'd like to live in Suffolk. I had a lot of family from there who have all gone now and it has amazing trees and skies.



Where and what is your studio?
It's a shed at the bottom of my garden.

Do you have a good work/life balance?
I try and draw and paint whenever I can. Having a studio in the garden helps because I rarely get whole days in there at once, so it's easy to grab a few hours here and there.

What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
Rewarding. Or frustrating.


What would your dream commission be?
I'd like a portrait commission where time, money and difference of opinion didn't affect the end result.

If you could exhibit in any gallery in the world which would it be?
I'd like to show some drawings in The British Museum perhaps.

No comments: