Monday 13 August 2012

Maker of the Week - David Plagerson


David Plagerson is based in Devon and makes beautiful painted and natural wood toys. He will be exhibiting at MADE LONDON in October.

Where did you train? What did training teach you and what do you wish it had taught you?
I trained at Camberwell School of Art. They taught me to draw and look. I learnt to play later.

Is being a designer / maker your only job?
My toymaking is full-time.


One favourite living designer?
My favourite living designer is Tom Karen. He is a lovely person who as MD of Ogle Design was responsible for the Kiddiecraft Marble Run; the Raleigh Chopper; the Reliant Robin, and the Pope Mobile.
One favourite historical designer?
My favourite historical designer is Sam Smith (wooden toys). He developed a humorous language from the tradition of European woonden toys.
What is the most interesting / fun job you have had?
I enjoyed my commission from Mike Leigh for a gift to Simon Channing Williams: "Who is the Monkey and who is the Organ Grinder"

What is your most prized item of design / craft? 
My most prized item is a boat by Sam Smith.
What item of design / craft do you covet most?
An Anubis by Paul Spooner.
At age 16 who most influenced your style?  At aged 16 style influences were Jack Kerouac and Lonnie Donnegan.
Last book / film that blew your mind?
I would recommend to everybody Toys of the Avant-Garde.
How many hours do you waste on the internet each day?
I don't spend much time on the internet.
If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why? I would love to live up on Dartmoor. It's such a big landscape.
Where and what is your studio? I have a wood-working shop in a shed at the bottom of my garden, and a paint shop in the house.

Do you have a good work/life balance?
I am very lucky with my work-life balance
What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
Absorption










No comments: