Tuesday 21 August 2012

Maker of the Week - Chito Kuroda


Chito Kuroda makes hand thrown porcelain bottles and tableware. She is based in London and will be showoing her work at MADE LONDON in October.

Where did you train? What did training teach you and what do you wish it had taught you?
I learned all the basics at Kensington and Chelsea College and Morley College in London such as tile making to teapots. I loved it. I wish it had more glaze making experience.

Is being a designer / maker your only job, or do you have other employment?
I work in the finance office at Royal Academy of Arts.   


One favourite living designer?
Vivienne Westwood. I adore her punk fashion

One favourite historical designer?
Les Paul. Beautiful shape and heavy sound

What is the most interesting / fun job you have had?
Showing my work on ITV's This Morning TV programme. I was selected for one of the last three London contestants of "Britain's Craftiest" competition.


What is your most prized item of design / craft?
Andy Warhol's "Banana" cover for The Velvet Underground & Nico's debut LP

What item of design / craft do you covet most?
Statue of Liberty

At age 16 who most influenced your style?
Japanese rock musician "Kiyosiro"

Last book / film that blew your mind?
I'm reading "The Little Prince" again

What music are you currently listening to?
The Rolling Stones to celebrate 50 years of their carrier.

How many hours do you waste on the internet each day?
Not much


If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?
Yokohama Japan, My home town to live close to my family and friends or Berlin to have a huge warehouse studio!

Where and what is your studio?
401 1/2 Studios in Wandsworth - with other exhibitors Kaori Tatebayashi, Garlinde Huth, Ann Nazaneth, Yoko Izawa and Emma Nacht

Do you have a good work/life balance? 
I wish I were a full time artist.

What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
Free

No comments: