Saturday 6 October 2012

Artist of the Week - Catherine Jacobs

Catherine Jacobs produces mixed media, abstract landscape paintings on wooden blocks. She is based in London.


Where did you train? What did training teach you and what do you wish it had taught you?
I did an BA in Psychology and short courses in art here and there including a National Certificate in Photography. My work has always been experimental and process led and came from a need to make things ...

Is being an artist your only job?
My practice is  influenced by my parallel career as a research psychologist - sometimes with a direct reference and sometime much more loosely 

One favourite living artist?
Mark Wallinger for his curatorial eye, wide ranging practice and the balance of humour in his art. The Russian Linesman group show he curated at the Hayward was superb - the catalogue is still for sale in their shop!! 

One favourite historical artist?
Caravaggio  - the realism, the saturated colours

What is the most interesting / fun job you have had?
My psychology post is fascinating as I get to translate research into practical applications with social workers and this comes back into my art practice 


If you could collaborate with anyone living or dead, who would it be and what would you do?
Mmm that's a hard one, Gordon Matta Clark's ideas and work I find amazing so would have been good to have a chat and see where it lead.

At age 16 who most influenced your style?
Don't think I knew what style was at 16.... Caravaggio on a school trip was a revelation and moved my cultural references on from Duran Duran 

Last book / film that blew your mind?
I thought Steve McQueen's Shame was compelling and psychologically accurate, with some beautifully filmed close ups.

What music are you currently listening to?
Radio 3 when doing freelance psychology work at home, ambient mostly at the studio, with some indie

How many hours do you waste on the internet each day?
Not that many as have a small child to keep me away from it

If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?
I think it would be New York with a holiday home in Scandinavia ...  the energy followed by a swim in the lake 

Where and what is your studio?
It is at the Chocolate Factory in Stoke Newington, East London http://www.chocolatefactoryn16.com/
More me it is a place to experiment and play without tidying up and even has heating .... 

Do you have a good work/life balance?
Yes tennis in the local park does help it along

What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
(Serious) play 

What would your dream commission be?
Would like to do an huge immersive photographic installation using my close up techniques


If you could exhibit in any gallery in the world which would it be?
Having just been to the amazing Louisiana in Denmark so it would be there overlooking the sea.http://www.louisiana.dk/dk/Service+Menu+Right/English

 

No comments: