Sunday 7 October 2012

Maker of the Week - Linda Bloomfield

Linda Bloomfield makes thrown porcelain tableware from her studio in London. She will be showing her work at MADE LONDON.


Where did you train? What did training teach you and what do you wish it had taught you?
I was taught to throw by potter Vanessa Waller in her studio in Chesham at age 16. My degree and doctorate from Warwick University were in engineering and taught me how to do my own research. I wish i had more business training.

Is being a designer / maker your only job?
I write books on pottery for A&C Black in my spare time

One favourite living designer?
Jonathan Adler. I love his midcentury-influenced ceramic designs.

One favourite historical designer?
Eva Zeisel. I love her voluptuous forms.

What is the most interesting / fun job you have had?
Being a self-employed potter. I love making pots.

What is your most prized item of design / craft?
A Peter Wills pink bowl which reminds me of a Lucie Rie bowl in the V&A museum. I bought it to celebrate having my pots in Liberty.

What item of design / craft do you covet most?
A Lucie Rie pot

At age 16 who most influenced your style?
Ska bands such as The Specials, The Beat and Madness

Last book / film that blew your mind?
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

What music are you currently listening to?
I can't get Grace Jones "I've seen that face before/Libertango" out of my head

How many hours do you waste on the internet each day?
2

If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?
Somewhere in the English countryside, perhaps Somerset or Devon. I love the countryside and hunting for wild food.

Where and what is your studio?
A shed in my garden in West London

Do you have a good work/life balance?
I spend too much time working

What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?Obsessive


No comments: