Monday 22 October 2012

Maker of the Week - Kate Bajic


 
Kate Bajic makes hand made limited edition silver and gold jewellery. She will be exhibiting her work with the Design Factory at MADE LONDON this weekend.
 
Where did you train?
Loughborough University graduating 2003 with a first in Silversmithing/jewellery.


What did training teach you and what do you wish it had taught you?
It taught me to be self reliant and to appreciate craftsmanship in making. I wish it had taught me more in terms of technical skills as I feel I still have so much to learn.

Is being a designer / maker your only job?
I teach one day jewellery workshops to adult learners and offer private tuition at my studio. I have also worked as a visiting lecturer on crafts based degrees at Coventry University working with students on both BA & MA courses.

One favourite living designer?
Jacqueline Ryan for the sheer beauty and craftsmanship of her work.
 
One favourite historical designer? Antoni Gaudí for his fabulous, imaginative architecture and beautiful mosaics. I went to Barcelona as part of my art foundation course and visiting Sagrada Familia was awe inspiring.

What is the most interesting / fun job you have had?
Apart from being a Mum, as there’s never a dull moment, I would say the job I’m doing now. I get to work with students who are enthusiastic and keen to learn, and I also get to spend time developing my own work and ideas. The best of both worlds!
 
 
What is your most prized item of design / craft? 
Irene Metaxatos fine silver ring bought for me by my husband when I exhibited at One Year On at New Designers with her. It’s beautifully simple in it’s design and construction.
What item of design / craft do you covet most?
A collection of Katrin Moye ceramics, her new range of work is just lovely.

At age 16 who most influenced your style?
Unfortunately at 16 I wasn’t really thinking about much beyond Spandau Ballet & Duran Duran!

Last book / film that blew your mind?  
I do watch lots of films, not sure any have blown my mind but one of my favourites is ‘In Bruges’ for its very dark humour and the fantastic Colin Farrell
What music are you currently listening to?
Favourite at the moment is Ren Harvieu but I like a wide range of music, anything from Muse & Foo Fighters to 80’s pop!
 
How many hours do you waste on the internet each day?
Too many, particularly now I have an iphone, it’s just too easy to keep checking FB & Twitter.

If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?
In Cornwall by the sea because of the beautiful light and the wonderful beaches

Where and what is your studio?
My studio is a log cabin in my garden often invaded by my cat and occasionally by my chickens! It’s a lovely place to work with no commute but it can be difficult to keep focused and you have to be quite disciplined.
 
Do you have a good work/life balance?
Yes as I work from home I can be very flexible and always make time for friends & family. I’m lucky to live in a very social village, there’s always something going on.
What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work? 
Absorbing

 

No comments: