Sunday 18 August 2013

Artist of the Week - Louise Bradley

Louise Bradley creates detailed, linear, sensuous and richly coloured screenprints, monoprints, papercuts and drawings of botanical forms and symbols. She will be showing her work at the Brighton Art Fair.

What was your journey to becoming an artist?
Always happy with a pencil in my hand, I guess I never stopped drawing once I had started. My mum is an artist and has always been very creative and original – that helps!

Is being an artist your only job?
I work as an artist in education as well as making art, which is extremely fulfilling. I’m lucky enough to work in galleries such as BALTIC Centre for Contemporary Art in Gateshead, as well as in the community with diverse groups.


One favourite living artist?
Olafur Eliasson for his sublime light and colour installations

One favourite historical artist?
Helen Chadwick – the strength and originality of her work; its visceral beauty and force


If you could collaborate with anyone living or dead, who would it be and what would you do?
I would quite like to have drawn Lucian Freud though I wouldn’t make him sit as long as his sitters did for his paintings. Then he would have to draw me. Is that collaboration or just swapping?!

Who is your style icon?
I like seeing anyone dressed in an original (eccentric?) colourful way – anyone who follows their heart and wears what expresses their character rather than following fashion.


Last book / film that blew your mind?
“Coral: a Pessimist in Paradise” by Steve Jones - blew my mind (though in too depressing a way and I didn’t finish it)  Film? The acting in ‘The Master’ was pretty mind blowing and the photography and soundtrack in ‘Stoker’ were beautiful

Last gig you went to?
Adam Curtis vs Massive Attack at the Manchester International Festival

How many hours do you waste on the internet each day?
More than I would care to admit



If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?
Anywhere colourful near the sea with lots of plants would do, to draw and swim

Where and what is your studio?
For the past 15 years I’ve been part of the fantastic 36 Lime Street Ltd; a large artists and makers collective in an old Whiskey warehouse in the Ouseburn Valley in Newcastle upon Tyne – next to an urban farm and a large burn leading to the River Tyne. I can hear the tide coming in and out as well as pigs, cockerels and goats through the window. My studio itself is spacious with a ceiling high enough for a mezzanine floor, and I’m part of a group of excellent and friendly practitioners


Do you have a good work/life balance?
Yes – both feed off each other, and intermingle, and I love the freedom of choice that comes from being freelance/self-employed

What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
Cathartic

What would your dream commission be?
A residency in some botanical gardens far away





No comments: