Friday 30 August 2013

Artist of the Week - Monika Jakimauskaite

Monika Jakimauskaite produces mixed media, photography prints on fabrics, embroidery and applique.


What was your journey to becoming an artist?
I finished Art High school in Lithuania and then Academy of Arts, textile design and technology. My parents are artists too. My mum is a fashion designer and my father is an actor and semi professional photographer. All my family friends were artists, so I grew up in a very artistic and cultural environment. I all the time imagine myself only as artist.
Is being an artist your only job, or do you have other employment?
At the moment I work as a Visual Merchandiser for shoes and accessories and also do arts. Unfortunately I can`t live yet as full time artist.
One favourite living artist?
There is this amazing Lithuanian photographer Algimantas Aleksandravicius, who takes beautiful portraits. He captures the mood and moment so well, that the picture looks alive. He shows real character of the person in picture. His is also my favourite black and white photography. Maybe, because I love photography and in my work I try to combine photography and textile.
 
One favourite historical artist?
My favourite historical artist is Gustav Klimt. Every detail in his picture creates this decorative touch, that sometimes it looks like a textile. Lots of passions and hard in his work. I like the theme of people in his works. They all seem melancholic and romantic. Maybe, because I love photography and in my work I try to combine photography and textile.

If you could collaborate with anyone living or dead, who would it be and what would you do?
It would be Gustav Klimt, maybe he could paint on fabrics and I would print photography and involve embroidery and applique. I think it would work out very interesting mixed media.
 
Who is your style icon?
Juozas Statkevicius is an outstanding Lithuanian fashion designer, who makes fatal women clothes. Beautiful dresses and accessories. Also he himself looks very simple, but with interesting detail.
 
Last book / film that blew your mind?
Maybe is not the last movie I saw, but is definitely one of the best ones. Is Bernardo Bertolucci's Stealing Beauty.  Great actors, very romantic, fantastic nature. Really touched me...After this movie I wanted to visit the South of France and I`m going in September.
 

Last gig you went to?
This is not the last one, but I went to this great minimal DJ Richy Hawtin performance in one of the biggest clubs in Ibiza.

How many hours do you waste on the internet each day?
I don`t spend a lot of time on internet, maybe just 1-2 hours in a day.

If you could live anywhere, where would it be?
I would love to live in Australia or New Zealand, because there is so much space and it is so green. Amazing nature and warm. A lot of inspiration for creativity.
 
 
Where and what is your studio?
My studio at the moment is at home in Brighton.

Do you have a good work/life balance?
I think I have a good balance, but I would prefer to spend more time doing my art and would get more opportunities to show my art. I like to travel, so every opportunity I go somewhere else.
 

What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
Inspired

If you could exhibit in any gallery in the world which would it be?
Tate Modern

 















No comments: