Monday 16 July 2012

Artist of the Week - Paul Wadsworth

Paul Wadsworth is a painter based in Cornwall and produces work inspired by his local environment and from his travels.


Where did you train? What did training teach you and what do you wish it had taught you?
I trained at Ipswich and Falmouth art college. Both taught me to be playful with my work .. also loved studying the figure.. worked on many paintings and drawings from the nude which taught me to find the creative space you need to paint. 


Is being an artist your only job, or do you have other employment?
I am only an artist which is wonderful.  Its what I earn my living from.. for me to paint and survive from what I love doing is a good place to be.
One favourite living artist?
So many artits I like but I seem to return a lot to Anthony Fry. I love his power of story telling and use of colour. He has painted a lot in India and I love the exotic. I have spent the last 13 winters painting in the Middle East which provides me with great narratives for my paintings.
One favourite historical artist?
Chagall, for his power of colour and narrative.

What is the most interesting / fun job you have had?
Mmm,  most fun job.. definitely not the sugar beet factory!  I worked once for a theatre company designing and creating the stage set for a Wizard of Oz production which I then took to Glastonbury Festival to use on a music stage.
If you could collaborate with anyone living or dead, who would it be and what would you do?
I would collaborate with Turner    his use of paint and emotion and my installation of colour and narrative would be fun


At age 16 who most influenced your style?
At 16 I can't say I was at the high end of fine art.. although Dali was an interest as I remember buying a poster.. other than that some poster art or album cover designs .
Last book / film that blew your mind?
I think it was called ' Faust'. I love the use of puppetry to tell a story and have been thinking of using puppets to tell the story of paintings and to bring them to life somehow.
What music are you currently listening to?
I listen to so much music but at the moment on digital radio I am listening to smooth 70,s  - mmm showing my age.
How many hours do you waste on the internet each day?
Not a huge internet user but probably 30mins approx.
If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?
I live in Cornwall and love it. The sea is an important part of what I do. I love painting the coast, surfing, kayaking, fishing, swimming.. so I'd be lost without the coast. Also Cornwall has a great music and art community.


Where and what is your studio?
My studio is in Porthtowan on the north coast of Cornwall. It is an old barn conversion on Mount Pleasant Ecological Park.
Do you have a good work/life balance?
Painting I feel is my life. That sounds a bit corny but it is really the main thing I'm here for and do. I don't ever see it as work but as life.. so amazing to deal with this self on a daily basis .. a continual learning experience through creativity which runs parallel with growing as a person.. oh god that sounds really pretentious but I hope you know what I mean.
What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work? 
Energy.

What would your dream commission be?
Mmm a dream commission.... I did do a large one once for a bank in Dubai. It was approx eighty paintings which was fun. But I suppose if someone popped into my studio and asked for 40 large paintings telling the story of my travels in the Middle East, I wouldn't turn it down! 
If you could exhibit in any gallery in the world which would it be?
I don't know every gallery but the obvious answer I suppose would be a one man show in the Tate.. maybe next year!








No comments: