Monday 15 September 2008

Artist of the Week - Stephen David's


Stephen David's - Director and co owner of f-art gallery/store in Shoreditch London E2

Self expression painting, drawings Assemblages created as a means to communicate to a wider audience. My work is an extension of me and it a tool I use to communicate my fears my dreams my fun and my outlook. My work is a reflection is a mirror of me in all my complexities.

'Golly Gosh' - an article about Stephen, F'art, and Golly's in the Independent on Sunday

At the moment I am collaboration with an artist and we are working a line of work from prints to paintings. I am currently producing a series of Limited Edition wooden Art Toys that I intend to market through f-art.


Money spent on Crayons is never wasted?
I am an avid connoisseur of crayons and pencils. As long as I have access to paper I can draw and mark make anywhere

One favourite living artist?
Ralph Steadman. I respect his fluidity use of line and his power of execution

One favourite historical artist?
Cy Twombly for his mastery of the naive line and for being the godfather of Abstract Expressionism

When and where did you first want to do what you do?
12 but I was not supported. For years I suppressed my gift and my talent.

What place in the world has inspired you?
New York. I first went to Keith Harings Pop Shop in 1987 in Lafayette Soho and was blown away by the graphics and the sense of fun. I love New York for its mass, its energy and its organized chaos. Museum of Modern Art takes my breath away every time I visit NYC.


Do you work best on your own or in collaboration?
I work best in an environment that nourishes me and inspires me. I prefer to work alone as I find that my best work is created when I’m lost in my own thoughts.

What was the last art/craft/design thing you purchased?
Fabriano Cotton Paper 300 gms smooth – Class!!

At age 15 who influenced your style?
Ralph Steadman – at aged 15 I did not understand Art. I understood comics and comic books.

Last best read?
Black People in British Art 1800 – 1900 Jan Marsh

How much do you bend your 'vision' to suit the marketplace?
I don’t.


Who would you say buys your work?
Educated, cultural savvy interesting people who are confident who they are and what they like and want.

How do you set about starting a new project?
After care, planning and research I attack with vigor and determination.

What do you have on your pinboard?
A picture of my dead Sharpei dog - Shi

Where and what is your studio?
My studio was a 2000 sq foot warehouse in North London. A stunning space, but it gave me no privacy. I work now in my house which is open plan and light and peaceful.

What is your favourite website?
www.rawvision.com Outsider Art is art made from the Soul. I like the diversity and the stories of the artists and there individual personal journeys.

Surprising activity?
I collect Antique Ledgers


Do you have a good work/life balance?
If you switch off from doing your Art you burn out. Work Life balance is the ultimate in my success as an artist

What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
Therapy

Would you rather be doing something else?
No, as Art chose me. I did not choose it. It is who I am.

Do you think art and craft has any real importance?
Yes, they are on the same – but different forms.

Are their other fields that you'd like to apply some facet of your work into?
Interior Design

Guilty secret?
I play the Lottery.


Can anything be 'art'?
In my world anything and everything is ART

What do think are crimes against good taste & decency in art/craft/design?
QVC Channel.


Most underrated artist/maker?
Me. I do not promote myself as much as I should

Most overrated artist/maker?
Too many to mention. The ‘art’ of self promotion in the millennia has overtaken the Art of the Art.

If you could exhibit in any gallery which would it be?
The Serpentine

No comments: