Wednesday 3 September 2008

Artist of the Week - STEVE McPHERSON


Steve McPherson

Is an artist and lecturer living and working in the South East. He has bibliophilic tendencies, cartographic inclinations and is obsessive/compulsive regarding the collecting of found marine objects that lay wave worn and washed up upon the beaches near his home. His works include sculpture - installation, bookworks and experimental wall hung works.



When and where did you first want to do what you do?
Apparently being 7 and colour blind stops you from becoming a RAF pilot. The only other alternative was an artist (with help from others when it comes to choosing coloured paints and pencils etc).

What place in the world has inspired you?
The small beach where I collect most of the objects I use, and which I spent hours playing as a child and wandering and watching the ships on the endless horizon as an adult.This cove is not particularly popular and you wouldn't spend a hot summer visiting it - but it has a bleak beauty of its own and its currents attract a wealth of lost objects and memories from the miles of adjoining coast..

What one product/item do you really covet?
My collection of scarce books by the American diarist and photographer Peter Beard . Beard was the first artist I came across who used diaries and journals in a similar way to my own. His work adventurer life is a constant source of intrigue and inspiration, and luckily by chance I met him in NY and he was as charming as the many articles about him suggest he is.


Last best read?
'Fahrenheit 451' Ray Bradbury

How much do you bend your 'vision' to suit the marketplace?
I have always tried to make work regardless of the fashions of the market place, and feel that my work appeals on many levels to many different people and also suits equally varied locations of display.

Where and what is your studio?
At home where ever there is space. I do work alone but my tolerant wife and I discuss ideas and solutions. I like to listen to a vast array of styles of music and of course good old Radio 4, equally silence is welcomed but rare.


Surprising activity?
Surprising to most people who know me is the fact that I design and make jewelry for the design company 'The Black Rabbit'

Guilty secret?
At the end of a hot summer beach day - A Pint of good gin with tonic, loads of ice and half a fresh lime squeezed and dropped into it.

Can anything be 'art'?
Anything can be art - whether it is successful in its communication of its intentions is another thing - and whether its good or not is purely subjective, and of less importance.



No comments: