Saturday 13 September 2008

Maker of the Week - Alexis Dove



Alexis Dove Jewellery

Feminine contemporary designer jewellery inspired by nature and ancient traditions of adornment. Wild roses, bellflowers, shells and Brighton Ironwork dripping with semi-precious beads and pearls. Rich hammered 22ct and 18ct gold stacking rings twinkling with Indian rose cut and old cut diamonds and diamond beads.


Money spent on Chocolate is never wasted

One favourite maker?
Benvenuto Cellini, the salt cellar commissioned by Francis 1st is considered by some to be the finest piece ever made by human hand!

When and where did you first want to do what you do?
I was travelling around Australia and New Zealand working in Agriculture, but became fascinated by all of the galleries and jewellers who were inspired by their environment and became determined to learn how to make jewellery and to stop being a farmer!


What place in the world has inspired you?
India, Thailand, Tibet, ancient Persia, Rome and Greece and my own garden. There is always something to be inspired by.

Do you work best on your own or in collaboration?
I work best in collaboration as I share my workshop with Justin Small and we discuss and work on the collections we both produce together. Often we can see the strengths and faults in each other's work and so we can constantly improve what we do.


What was the last art/craft/design thing you purchased?
I bought a gorgeous knitted bag from Caroline Jaques - it's beautiful.

Last best read (book)?
Frankenstein by Mary Shelly I had meant to read it for years and never got around to it.


Who would you say buys your work?
All age groups, but often women buying for themselves, my jewellery is very feminine and women are often drawn to it. When I design a piece I want it to look beautiful on the body and compliment the wearer.

How do you set about starting a new project?
I look in my note book which I always carry around so that if I have an idea I can make a note or sketch. Then when I want to create a new collection I look back and start to piece my ideas together.


What do you have on your pinboard?
A picture of Bonnie and Clyde, a picture of my sister on her wedding day and various pages from Vogue and museum exhibitions.

Where and what is your studio?
I have a gorgeous workshop in The Star Brewery in Lewes, it is small with a mezanine which has my office and a hammock for "contemplation" unfortunately Justin has usually got there before me!!! We listen to radio 6 and 4 and Justin listens to his 60's reggae and Blues CDs.

No comments: