Wednesday 28 May 2008

ARTIST OF THE WEEK - Charlotte Hardy

Charlotte Hardy

I work in mixed media, using acrylic paints, inks and collage on watercolour paper and canvas. Eclectic elements are playfully arranged to form a narrative. Interesting vintage objects from museums, shops, markets, cafes and domestic environments inspire me. I am driven by my imagaination and passion for colour and pattern.

I have recently developed a range of screen-prints, about faded grandeur and elegant architectural features, for example chandeliers and old wallpaper. These sketched-style black line prints are individually hand-coloured with dyes, inks and paint.

This year I have created a bespoke wall illustration in a new teashop in Highgate in London called High Tea.

Favourite living artist
One of my favourite artists is Twombly. I love the energetic colourful scribbles and the hugh scale of the paintings. They are very playful and child-like, but also beautiful and sophisticated in the use of space and composition.

Favourite living craft maker
I'm really inspired by Maxine Sutton's embroderied textile pictures. I love the imagery she uses and her tea cosies are so imaginative. They remind me of the the beautiful tea cosies my great-grandmother used to make.

Favourite historical artist
Bonnard. I really love the colours he used and how he created a magical domestic world in his pictures.

When and where did you first want to do what you do?
I've always wanted to be an artist for as long as I can remember. When I was studying printed textiles at university, I realised I didn't want to be a commercial textile designer and wanted to create one-off pictures for galleries.

Do you work best on your own or in collaboration
I always work better on my own in my studio, when I have time to fully concentrate and immerse myself in what I'm doing.

What was the last art/craft/design thing you purchased?
I have recently bought a fantastic teatowel from Habitat! Its got a chandelier on it and some birthday candles.

At age 15 who influenced your style? Was there any individual who very much helped you on your way?
I had an art teacher who just gave us complete freedom, which I relished and ended up painting on chairs and mirror frames.

How much do you bend your 'vision' to suit the marketplace?
I do always consider if my work is sellable and who would want to buy it, so I think I naturally bend it to the marketplace a little bit from habit and necessity.

How do you set about starting a new project?
I love research and always start off new projects gathering inspiring images. Its always brilliant if I have time to go and do do some drawing somewhere and take photographs.

Where and what is your studio?
I work at Clockwork Studios, which is in South London. It used to be Charlie Chaplin's rehersal studio and then became a clock factory. It has been artists studios for about 20 years.




1 comment:

melly646 said...

Hi Charlotte I have just purchased one of your lovely prints-Great Expectations-42215. Please can you tell me where I can buy more of your prints in Manchester areas and can I have permission to enlarge my print for my personal use at home, many thanks,Mel.