Wednesday 7 May 2008

MAKER OF THE WEEK - Andrea Eserin

Andrea Eserin Jewellery

I make unique contemporary jewellery in precious metals, coloured resin and semi-precious stones.

One favourite living craft maker?
Dale Chihuly (www.chihuly.com) , glass maker, has been a huge influence on me. I love the colours and the forms he uses. Also the impressive scale he works on. Seeing his work makes me want to have a go at glass blowing!


When and where did you first want to do what you do?
I've been interested in art and design since I can remember, always pointing out details on buildings and having a fascination in how things are made. I studied art and design GCSE's and A-levels and during my A-levels I did a jewellery and silversmithing evening class at Pruden and Smith silversmiths in Ditchling. It was this class that influenced me to go on to study jewellery at Middlesex university. The rest is history!

What place in the world has inspired you?
I've visited India twice and have found it the most visually stimulating place in the world!

At age 15 who influenced your style?
My pottey GCSE teacher, Jane Abbott (www.jane-abbott.co.uk) , who was incredibly encouraging of me going in an art direction.


How much do you bend your 'vision' to suit the marketplace?
Jewellery, by it's nature as a functional object worn on the body, dictates a certain amount of restrictions on the designers part. But that, I find, is part of the interest and challenge - to create something that people want to adorn themselves with!

Where and what is your studio?
My workshop is in my garden, which is perfect as I have a young child. If I've got lots on I can take the baby monitor out there (when he's asleep obviously!) or pop in at weekends when my partner's around. I like music on - it's about the only time I listen to new music nowadays!

Surprising activity/hobby?
Maybe it's not surprising, but I've recently started horse riding again. There's nothing like being up on the downs on a sunny day, on horseback!

What one word would describe your feeling of doing your work?
Absorbing.

Would you rather be doing something else?
No, but I'd like to add to it by gaining some new skills.

If you could exhibit in any gallery which would it be?
Electrum Contemporary Jewellery gallery - it is one of the fore runners in it's field.

No comments: