Wednesday 3 April 2013

Maker of the Week - Charlotte High


Charlotte High is a contemporary jewellery designer producing work inspired by nature. She will be exhibiting with the Rosehill Studio Group at the Palace Art and Craft Fair
 
 
At what age did you know you wanted to become a maker?  
I was 25 when I was teaching in Lisbon and making simple jewellery to sell at weekend craft fairs. I started a silver jewellery course in Portuguese and immediately loved it. I then returned to the UK and did a LOCF course at Chelsea College in London followed by a
part time HND at the Guildhall. On relocating to Brighton I did evening courses and studied for an advanced crafts City and Guilds in fine jewellery at Chichester.

Is being a designer your only job?
Now its my only job, other than looking after 3 children, 2 kittens, 2 guinea pigs and a hamster. I am also a casual crèche worker.

If you could be anything else what would you be?
An explorer, tour guide, photographer, architect, or best of all David Attenborough’s assistant.


One favourite living artist / designer?
Hmm. Think it’d have to be Tracey Emin. It’s not necessarily her art…it’s her raw attitude and depth that get me and the eventful life she has led.

One favourite historical artist / designer?
Claude Monet because he was a brilliant artist and his famous painting ‘Sunrise’ which gave rise to the Impressionist movement is awe inspiring.

Who / what has had most influence on your work?
The raw essence of nature.

What is the most interesting / fun job you have had?
I worked on a prawn trawler. We used to be out at sea for 2 weeks at a time, waking at night to trawl and sort the catch. I was in Australia and in many places the sea, at night was lit up by phosphorescent algae – a true spectacle.


What is your most prized item of art / design / craft?
I love classic cars, but sadly don’t have one at the moment. I used to have an electric blue VW Beetle, K reg, that came to live in Portugal with me. We had lots of wild adventures but she had to go to scrap when I returned to the UK as she failed the MOT.

What item of design / craft do you covet most?
Sticking with cars I think it’d have to be a Karmen Ghia, but then old Porsches and E-types are pretty cool too.

Last book / film that blew your mind?
I love Quentin Tarantino films, particularly Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill. I find these films clever in their circular plots, the adrenaline, danger and humour

What are you listening to? 
Pat Metheny Group –Travels (Live) Goin’ Ahead/as falls Wichita, so falls Wichita falls. I saw him play in Brighton and thought he was brilliant


How many hours do you waste on the internet each day?
Too many and not enough. I always get side tracked ….I can even lead myself up the garden path.


If you could live anywhere, where would it be and why?
I love living in Brighton, but would like it to be hotter and cheaper…oh, and I would like a sandy beach, a boat and a big house with a lawn reaching to the sea. Where is this place?


Where and what is your studio?
I work at the Rosehill Workshops with a collective of very talented and creative artists. There are 11 of us working there, all self employed, but at the same time working together to create a professional, inspiring and supportive atmosphere.



Three words that describe your feeling of doing your work?
Passion, fulfilment, engrossed.

Chips or mash?
Chips –they’re more social

No comments: