Tuesday 19 August 2008

Maker of the Week - Sonia Guzzo


Sonia Guzzo

Highly sculptural leather handbags and accessories, inspired by natural forms such as sea shells, corals, fossils and rock formations. Each piece is unique due the technique applied which raises the flat and smooth surface of the leather creating very textured surfaces which cast light and shadow.


Money spent on Good food/ good holidays/books/ movies/ gym is never wasted It's quality of life that matters so anything that makes you live to the most of your potential with a healthy body and with a well nourished, stimulated and content mind it's all worthwhile.

Favourite living artist
Eleni Anats for her highly uplifting work

Favourite living craft maker
Helen Amy- Murray for her divine leather work

Favourite historical artist
Almost all the Impressionists and Post Impressionists painters. I am absolutely moved by most of their work and often I have felt butterflies in my tummy while admiring and absorbing their work. I thinks it's their use of colours and how well they create strong light effects. Also I like their ability in communicating states of minds and emotions through their paintings.


Favourite historical maker?
William Morris
When and where did you first want to do what you do?
In London few years ago thanks to very inspiring tutors and mentors

What place in the world has inspired you?
Partly my land ( Italy ) for the strong sense of colour, of aesthetic and of beautifully made objects that I have acquired naturally, and partly London with all the creative and artistic work available around me and the abundance of cultures living together.

Do you work best on your own or in collaboration?
I like to be in charge generally but I also work well if it comes to involve and guide others such as students on work experience, my photographer or my graphic designer. I like the exchange with others when i work but in my own times.

What was the last art/craft/design thing you purchased?
I bouhgt recently a couple of Rosie Bill's rings one in silver which incorporates some wood and a found pieces of victorian pottery and the other one also in silver but with a shell shaped piece of pottery from the 20s


At age 15 who influenced your style?
A bit the Mods

Last best read?
'A New Earth' by Ekhart Tolle

Who would you say buys your work?
Sophisticated ladies that have a love for art and design combined to function and that want to distinguish themselves from the crowd. Someone who loves and appreciate good, well made and unique craft pieces in contrast to what is mass produced.

How do you set about starting a new project?
Focusing on a specific idea or concept or form or tecnique that is of interest to me and that i want to explore and develop further.

Where and what is your studio?
My Buddhist shrine, plenty of light as I work from the beautiful loft conversion of my own house in North West London not far from Hampstead Heath. I always work with some music in the background. I like to alternate in between Classical fm and Capital radio. Also I have a beautiful piece of Lucienne Day textiles ( Calyx in mustard yellow ) stretched as canvas and hanging as a painting, and a wonderful photographic print of my inspiring artist friend Eleni Anats from her 'Angels' body of work.

Surprising activity/hobby?
Practising Buddhism but certainly it doesn't count as a hobby


Do you have a good work/life balance?
Yes I guess I do

Would you rather be doing something else?
No

Do you think art and craft has any real importance?
Yes

If you could exhibit in any gallery which would it be? At the V & A

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi all,Sonia Guzzo's creations are on www.cercaborse.com