Saturday 2 August 2008

Maker of the Week - Sophie Woodrow

Sophie Woodrow, ceramic artist

Subtly strange hybrid porcelain "beings".
www.sophiewoodrow.co.uk


1 Money spent on Pencils is never wasted
Pencils, they are cheap and have infinite possibility.

2 When and where did you first want to do what you do?
In a dark dank pottery studio at school when I was about 10.

3 Last best read?
The Unbearable Lightness of Being - Milan Kundera. Franz Kafka. I have just read "The world without us" - Alan Weisman - it's brilliant.

4 How much do you bend your 'vision' to suit the marketplace?
The answer until recently has always been not at all, I'm now finding that these thoughts do creep in as considerations, and confuse things horribly.


5 Who would you say buys your work?
I'm no sure, and think it may be best that way.

6 Where and what is your studio?
I'm on the third floor of a lovely old building, with amazing city scape views. I work mostly alone, though thankfully there are others about to take breaks with, otherwise I chat to myself, and get cross with the radio when the music's no good.

7 What is your favourite website?
I love checking random people out on Axis, it feels almost clandistinley nosey, though they are offering their for others work to see.


8 Do you think art and craft has any real importance?
The very brief answer is yes, but I think it is always important to ask this. At this stage in my life/career I am more interested in the importance it has personally as a maker, than any transformative qualities it may have for others or society.

9 Can anything be art?
Yes absolutly.

10 If you could exhibit in any gallery which would it be?
I would love to exhibit work amongst the Natural History Museum collections.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your work is fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Highly Imaginative and well crafted work.
Reminds me of Nature Spirits, of the sub-conscious and perhaps real...and of Finnish hemulin's and snorks and the like.